Initial Educator License – Out Of State/Country (WI)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Initial Educator License – Out Of State/Country (WI)

The Initial Educator License for Out of State/Country route is for those who have completed a state-approved educator preparation program at an accredited institution of higher education headquartered outside Wisconsin. They have also completed the testing requirements of that state and are eligible for licensure in that state.
License Valid for 5 years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Wisconsin
Contact Name: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (WDPI)
Contact Phone: 608-266-3390
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Basic Skills
In most states, teachers must verify basic skills in English (Reading and Writing) and Mathematics through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Exam(s): One exam is required.

Out of state applicants may also pass basic skills tests in their home state. The DPI will review the test scores.

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program
6 credits from a college or university or having worked in a licensed position in a school in the last 5 years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:


    Chinese-Mandarin, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese

Passing Score: Intermediate High

ACTFL OPI, WPT in Hebrew is not currently tested, but is accepted by Wisconsin.

Applicants enrolled in a Wisconsin World Language teacher program that have met passing scores in Praxis II: Subject Area Tests in French, German and Spanish prior to September 2011 may use these scores.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Online at:

Renewal: Nonrenewable
After at least 3 years of successful employment and the completion of a verified PDP initial educator can apply via Educator Licensing Online system to advance license.

Educators must submit verified PDP through the QEI or WECAN PDP and obtain verification of employment using the PI-1613 form.

See for more information regarding reissuance and extensions for the initial license.

Submit institutional endorsement (PI-1612) form(s) verifying successful completion of state approved teacher program.

Graduates of foreign colleges or universities will submit the course-by-course credential evaluation report instead of the PI-1612 form.

Submit employment verification (PI-1613) from each PK-12 employer where applicant has worked. Applicant may need to submit multiple forms for multiple employers.

Processing time is estimated.
Background checks are required from U.S. applicants (not from Wisconsin), Canada, and Great Britain (England, Scotland, or Wales) applicants.


Paper fingerprint cards are only available for applicants who do not live in the United States. Request from DPI at [email protected]

International credential evaluations sites:

Candidates should apply for the Wisconsin license that most closely matches their out-of-state license. Upon application, a review will be completed to determine comparability with Wisconsin preparation, testing, and statutory requirements.

Applicants who have completed alternative teacher programs and/or received licensure from out of state non-traditional programs should apply for License Based on Equivalency.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .