Initial License (Out-Of-State) (DE)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Initial License (Out-Of-State) (DE)

The Initial License (Out of State) is issued to an educator who holds licensure in another state and wishes to apply for a Delaware License.
License Valid for 3 Years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Delaware
Contact Name: Department of Education – Certification
Contact Phone: 302-857-3388
Contact Email:
For more information please visit the state website:

Applicants will need to register and apply online for Delaware Licensure and Certification. The License allows one to teach in Delaware, and the Certificate identifies the subject(s) one may teach.

Candidates may apply for only one License but multiple Certificates.

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must Hold Current (STATE) Certification

Basic Skills
In most states, teachers must verify basic skills in English (Reading and Writing) and Mathematics through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

If your credential is not accepted under reciprocity, you will need to submit Praxis I scores for your License.

An applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited 4 year college or university.

Official transcripts shall be forwarded directly from the issuing institution or by the applicant in an unopened, unaltered envelope.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:

Exam(s): Exams are language specific.

Accept Scores from Out of State

If your credential is not accepted under reciprocity, you must submit appropriate Praxis II or ACTFL scores or coursework.

Additional languages may be available. Contact DEEDS for guidance.

If ACTFL tests are not available in the content language, must meet one of the following:
1) Specialized education;
2) Approved Certification of Content Knowledge.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Varies by District

Renewal: Nonrenewable
Moving from an Initial License to a Continuing License:
All initial licensees must complete Delaware’s 3 year mentoring program. Educators who fulfill the program requirements will be moved to continuing licenses upon the expiration of their initial licenses.


The application is done online and there is no fee.

Processing time is estimated.
Holders of Non-U.S. Credentials:


Delaware does not accept the following credentials as reciprocal:
-Certificates of Eligibility
-Intern Certificates
-Conditional Certification
-Substitute Teacher License
-Private School License

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .