Initial Out-Of-Country License (KS)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Initial Out-Of-Country License (KS)

The Kansas Initial Out of Country License is for those who have completed a teacher preparation program abroad and want to teach in Kansas.

License Valid for 2 years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Case by Case

State Information
State: Kansas
Contact Name: Teacher Licensure Consultant
Contact Phone: 785-296-3835
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Recency: Applicant must have at least 8 credit hours or one year of accredited teaching experience completed within the last 6 years.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
defined as at least one year of accredited teaching experience OR 8 semester hours of college credit, within the six year period immediately prior to application years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:


Accept Scores from Out of State

English Language Proficiency:

No Praxis Subject Matter Exam required for Latin. Must have majored in Latin.

May accept ACTFL upon review of candidate’s application.

Overview of Kansas Testing Requirements

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:
Form at: Form 2 Non-US
Form Mailing Address:
Teacher Licensure and Accreditation
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street, Suite 106
Topeka, KS 66612-1212

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Accepted with Transcript Evaluation

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Printable Form at:

Renewal: Renewable
Initial licenses are issued for 2 years at a time. For applicants not eligible to upgrade to the professional license, 4 years under an initial license are allowed before renewal requirements must be met. Renewal requirements must be verified after every 4 years of initial licensure. Renewal requirements must also be documented if more than 5 years have passed between the issuance of any two initial licenses.

The Professional-level teaching license is valid for 5 years and earned by verifying successful completion of the teaching performance assessment prescribed by the state board.

The Accomplished Teaching License is available only if an applicant has completed all requirements for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification. It is valid for 10 years.

The application packet contains additional information on requirements that must be met and describes additional steps you must complete.
Applicants must have all of official education credentials/transcripts evaluated.

The evaluator will verify the equivalency of academic credentials to degree(s) awarded by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States.

In addition, the credential evaluator must verify the completion of a teacher program, including teaching subject area(s) and grade level preparation.

Applicants should a course-by-course evaluation with equivalent grade point calculated is needed. This will allow Kansas to determine an applicant’s cumulative GPA.

Applicants must submit a fingerprint card for a background clearance.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .