Initial Out-Of-State License (KS)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Initial Out-Of-State License (KS)

The Kansas Initial Out-Of-State License is available for those who have a valid full or standard out-of-state license or certificate issued after the successful completion of a state approved preparation program.
License Valid for 2 years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Case by Case

State Information
State: Kansas
Contact Phone: 785-296-3835
Contact Email:
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must Hold Current (STATE) Certification

Recency: Applicant must have at least 8 credit hours or one year of accredited teaching experience completed within the last 6 years.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
At least one year of accredited teaching experience OR 8 semester hours of college credit, within the six year period immediately prior to application. years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:


Accept Scores from Out of State

Tests completed to achieve the out-of-state license may be acceptable. May accept ACTFL.

No Praxis Subject Matter Exam required for Latin. Applicant must have majored in Latin.

Overview of Kansas Testing Requirements

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:
Form at: Form 2
Form Mailing Address:
Teacher Licensure and Accreditation
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street, Suite 106
Topeka, KS 66612-1212

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Background Check
Printable Form at:

Renewal: Renewable
Initial licenses are issued for 2 years at a time. For applicants not eligible to upgrade to the professional license, 4 years under an initial license are allowed before renewal requirements must be met. Renewal requirements must be verified after every 4 years of initial licensure. Renewal requirements must also be documented if more than 5 years have passed between the issuance of any two initial licenses.

The Professional-level teaching license is valid for 5 years and earned by verifying successful completion of the teaching performance assessment prescribed by the state board.

The Accomplished Teaching License is available only if an applicant has completed all requirements for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification. It is valid for 10 years.

Note: Applicants will be issued the highest level of license they qualify for based on review by TEAL staff of the documentation provided.

Applicants may:
Be issued an two-year exchange license if applicable.
Be issued a one-year nonrenewable license if hired by a Kansas district (grades 8-12 only).
Be issued a substitute license until content and pedagogy tests are completed.
Meet experience requirements to come in at the professional license level.
If this is an applicant’s first Kansas license, he/she will also need to Order a Fingerprint Card and Instructions.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .