International Teacher Exchange License (TN)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

International Teacher Exchange License (TN)

Teachers who wish to participate in an International Teacher Exchange program must possess a foreign teacher credential comparable to one recognized in Tennessee as well has have an approved visa.
License Valid for 3 years
J-1 visa
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Tennessee
Contact Name: Office of Educator Licensing
Contact Phone: 615-532-4885
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must Hold Current (STATE) Certification

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:
English Language Proficiency: Oral, Written,


Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District

School District Requirements:
Verification of Employment
Confirmation of Mentor

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Not Accepted

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Varies by District

Renewal: Nonrenewable
If the teacher wishes to remain beyond the third year, the teacher must satisfy all requirements for a professional teacher license.

Districts that wish to employ teachers holding this license must adhere to State Board of Education policies regarding mentoring and evaluation of these teachers.
Contact the employing school district for information and pricing.

Teachers participating in an international teacher exchange program must meet the following criteria:

(i) Hold primary citizenship outside the United States;

(ii) Hold the U.S. equivalent of a bachelor’s degree or higher;

(iii) Hold a foreign teacher credential in a field comparable to that recognized in Tennessee;

(iv) Demonstrate proficiency in English;

(v) Provide verification from a Tennessee director of schools of intent to employ; and

(vi) Provide a recommendation by the government of a country with whom the Department of Education has signed a memorandum of agreement or by a recognized international exchange program.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .