Professional Educator License (IL)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Professional Educator License (IL)

The Professional Educator License is issued to individuals who have completed teacher training and testing requirements.

License Valid for 5 years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Illinois
Contact Name: ISBE Educator Effectiveness Division
Contact Phone: 217-557-6763
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + 24 Hours
BA Degree + Major in Content Language

Basic Skills
In most states, teachers must verify basic skills in English (Reading and Writing) and Mathematics through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Exam(s): One exam is required.

Exam(s): One exam is required.

SAT or ACT may be taken in place of the TAP exam

Score reports must not be older than 10 years.

Update July 2015 – Applicants who have successfully completed a test of basic skills at the time of initial licensure in another state or another country shall not be required to complete an Illinois test of basic skills.

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program
Student Teaching
Course needed: Minimum 1 course in cross-categorical methods.

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
Student Teaching Okay.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:

Exam(s): Exams are language specific. Scores are valid for 10 years.

Accept Scores from Out of State

Additional Requirements for this route include the following:


Course needed: Methods of reading and reading in the content language

Teaching English As a Second Language:

Course needed: Minimum 1 course in ESL/bilingual methods

Professional Licensing Guide:

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:

Copy of First Aid/Adult/Child CPR:
Varies by District

Copy of Tuberculosis Test Report: Required
Varies by District

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Accepted with Transcript Evaluation

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Varies by District

Renewal: Renewable
PEL teachers may renew their license every 5 years. See for detailed information.

Additional forms ISBE form 73-05 AND/OR ISBE form 73-06 required to be filled out as necessary.

ELIS – Educator Licensure Information System
Livescan fingerprints called Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) required. CHRI must be initiated prior to employment, but a school district may permit the applicant to be hired and begin employment pending the outcome of the CHRI check
Processing time is estimated.

Licenses must be registered for $10 per year to prevent them from lapsing.

Transitional Bilingual Educator: A transitional bilingual educator license must be endorsed in bilingual education (tied to a world/foreign language endorsement). An example would be bilingual education teacher – Spanish. Applicants for this endorsement must possess a valid and comparable out-of- state teaching certificate or an authorization issued by a foreign country. A transitional bilingual endorsement is valid for 5 years.

Visiting International Teacher: A visiting international teacher must be recruited by an Illinois school district to come from another country and teach in Illinois. Language proficiency testing must also occur abroad before the educator comes to Illinois.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .