Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway (KS)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway (KS)

The Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway is intended to respond to school districts’ needs in hiring qualified, licensed teachers. It is designed to recruit mid-career professionals who have a bachelor’s, master’s degree, or equivalent coursework in a content area they want to teach and are seeking a career change. Heritage language speakers with a bachelor’s degree or higher can also utilize the restricted licensure to teach their native languages. This pathway provides an opportunity for these individuals to have immediate access to start teaching under restricted license while completing professional education pedagogy course work to become fully licensed.
License Valid for 1 year
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Kansas
Contact Name: Nikk Nelson
Contact Phone: 785-291-3371
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Major in Content Language

GPA: 2.75

The BA degree or equivalent coursework must be in a regular education content area you want to teach OR applicant must be a heritage language speaker.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

A GPA of 2.75 must be from the last 60 semester credits hours of college coursework completed.

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
Full-time teaching position while completing the required professional education course work towards full licensure.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:


Accept Scores from Out of State

English Language Proficiency: Oral, Written,

No Praxis Subject Matter Exam required for Latin. Applicant must have majored in Latin.

Overview of Kansas Testing Requirements

A supervised practical training experience must be completed under the collaboration of the supporting institution and hiring school district before restricted teaching license can be issued.

If the applicant’s first language is not English, they must present verification of competence in both written and spoken English, by obtaining a passing score on an English language proficiency exam.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District
Form at:
Form Mailing Address:
Teacher Licensure and Accreditation
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street, Suite 106
Topeka, KS 66612-1212

School District Requirements:
Verification of Employment
Confirmation of Mentor

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Printable Form at:

Renewal: Renewable
A progress report must be submitted every year verifying that appropriate progress has been made towards a full license. Each restricted teaching license shall be valid for the school year in which the license is issued and may be reissued for two additional consecutive school years if progress reports are submitted as required. The restricted license will be canceled if you do not make appropriate progress.

District applies with state using form 9.

The application process is a coordinated effort with sections completed by the individual, the school district hiring the individual, and the higher education institution providing the course work.

Background check fee: $50
Have the university hosting the program evaluate your transcript to ensure you meet the content requirements for the subject matter you want to teach. Develop a plan of study with the alternative certification program staff. Program length may vary depending on the institution.

A progress report must be submitted every year verifying that appropriate progress has been made towards a full license. The restricted license will be canceled if an applicant does not make appropriate progress.

The institution will recommend for a full Kansas license after an applicant successfully completes all coursework and testing (content and pedagogy) requirements on the plan of study.

List of approved programs:

Jennifer Sackhoff – Baker University
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 913-344-1275
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Shannon Hall – Emporia State University
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 620-341-5654
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Kerry Schuckman – Fort Hays State University
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 785-628-4542
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Amanda Hill – Pittsburg State University
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 620-235-6153
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Jackie Glasgow – Southwestern College
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 620-229-6315
Title: Alternative Route Contact

Sherri Holle – Wichita State University
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 316-978-6580
Title: Alternative Route Contact

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .