Standard Secondary (7-12) License (NV)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Standard Secondary (7-12) License (NV)

The Standard Secondary (7-12) License is the initial license awarded to students upon completion of teacher preparation. This license allows an educator to teach specific academic subjects in grades 7-12.
License Valid for 5 years
Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or be a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid permanent residency (PR) card.
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia, Idaho, Iowa

State Information
State: Nevada
Contact Phone: 702-486-6458
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Out-of-state applicant licenses may apply if the grade levels and subject areas match the licensing areas available in Nevada and the out of-state is not temporary, alternative, emergency, provisional, or conditional. However, all U.S. Territory educator licenses will be evaluated on an individual basis and acceptance of the license for reciprocity is not guaranteed.

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must NOT have Current (STATE) Certification

Basic Skills
In most states, teachers must verify basic skills in English (Reading and Writing) and Mathematics through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Exam(s): Core Academic Skills exam plus World Language -specific exam required (WL exam required for some languages starting September, 2019)

Contingent upon Transcript Evaluation

Exam(s): One exam is required.

Applicants for licensure will not be required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests if they have received a master’s or more advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university and completed, within five (5) years immediately preceding the date on which their application was submitted, the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) prepared and administered by ETS or its equivalent and received a score which was at or above midpoint of the score range in effect at the time of examination.

If an applicant meets all other requirements but has not taken the Praxis, he/she may be granted a 3 year non-renewable license with provisions that must be cleared.

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program
Student Teaching

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:

Exam(s): Language exams required beginning September 1, 2019

Accept Scores from Out of State

Certification is available in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, Filipino-Tagalog French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Russian, Spanish, Turkish

State may review transcripts to determine content language proficiency.

All single subject majors require thirty (30) semester credits in the desired area of licensure.
All single subject minors require sixteen (16) semester credits in the desired area of licensure.
All applicants must meet the Secondary Academic requirements in addition to the coursework required for the desired major or minor.
Please visit the Praxis testing website for information on required testing. Equivalent testing administered in another state may be substituted for the required Praxis tests.

The Nevada School Law (NSL), Nevada Constitution (NC), and United States Constitution (USC) provisions no longer exist for teacher licensure. The University of Nevada, Reno is no longer administering the associated exams. Please visit for a letter of explanation from the Nevada Department of Education.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at:

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check
Online at:

Renewal: Renewable
If you are applying or renewing for any Nevada educator license, you must meet the following requirements: Pursuant to NRS.391.060, you must be a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must show either a valid U.S. Passport or a Certificate of Naturalization. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, but have legal immigration status which allows you to work in the United States, you may be licensed as an educator in Nevada only if a Nevada school district or Charter School has offered you employment and provided you with a completed Notification of Offer of Employment form:

Must complete 6 credit hours at any regionally accredited university that directly apply toward the teaching field or are part of an advanced degree plan. Each credit is equal to 15 hours, which means over the course of the license each educator must obtain ninety (90) hours of continuing education.

There are no higher steps in certifications, those with advanced degrees or National Board Certification may be able to waive or substitute certain renewal requirements.

Starting in 2018, only online applications will be accepted.
Applicants for an educator license are encouraged to submit fingerprints electronically via Livescan. Once you have submitted your licensure application and payment through OPAL, you will receive a verification email containing a link to a list of Department-approved Livescan vendors. If there is not an approved Livescan location in the area of the state where you live, you will have to submit a fingerprint card in order for us to complete your background check. Most Nevada law enforcement agencies and school districts will not submit fingerprints via Livescan for the Department of Education, but can take your prints and give you a fingerprint card to turn in.

The NDE is not able to accept Livescan submissions from any state other than Nevada. If you currently reside in another state and are applying for a Nevada educator license, you must submit a fingerprint card in order for us to complete your background check.

If you do not have access to an approved Livescan location, you may submit a fingerprint card to the Office of Educator Licensure, either in person or by mail once you have submitted your licensure application and payment. Fingerprint cards must be FBI form FD-258 or the equivalent. This is to ensure compatibility with machine-reading equipment used by the FBI to analyze the cards. Some law enforcement agencies do not use the FD-258 and do not carry them in stock. In this case you may download and print the card directly from the FBI’s website. If you choose to do this, be sure to print the card on lightweight card stock. The Department of Public Safety and the FBI will not accept a fingerprint card printed on standard paper.

Foreign Transcript Evaluation in Nevada:

An applicant for a Nevada educator license who submits a foreign transcript (i.e. any transcript issued by a college or university outside the United States) for consideration must submit an evaluation of that transcript performed by an independent evaluation agency which has been approved by the Nevada Commission on Professional Standards in Education (NAC 391.050). That evaluation must include:

A photocopy of the transcript(s) evaluated
An original course-by-course evaluation showing degree equivalency, completed by an approved evaluation agency.
A photocopy of the translation of the transcript(s), if not in English.
A transcript from a Canadian college or university is only subject to the requirements above if it is in a language other than English.

The Nevada Department of Education will accept foreign transcript evaluations the two credentialing services: National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE), or Global Education Group, Inc.

You may print this route.

Published On: 6/10/2019 3:59:08 PM

Posted in .