Temporary License (MA)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Temporary License (MA)

The Temporary License is for those who have been employed out of state and hold a valid out of state credential/license/certificate comparable to a Massachusetts initial license for at least three (3) years AND have not passed all of, or have not failed any of, the required MTEL tests.

License Valid for 1 year
Employment: Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Massachusetts
Contact Name: Office of Educator Licensure
Contact Phone: 781-338-3000
For more information please visit the state website: http://www.doe.mass.edu/licensure/

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
Completed BA Degree

Prior Certification: Must Hold Out of State Certification

Applicants must submit a letter verifying at least three full years of employment.

Employment under a valid license is defined as the subject and at the grade level of the license from the date it was issued.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
3 years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Additional languages: Armenian, Cambodian, Cape Verdean, Hungarian, Ukrainian.

Applicants are expected to take MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills test and Subject Matter exam during this license.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Online at: https://gateway.edu.state.ma.us/elar/applyforlicensure/LicenseApplicationAnchorPageControl.ser
Form at: http://www.doe.mass.edu/Educators/e_license.html?section=k12
Form Mailing Address:
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Office of Educator Licensure, 75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148

Renewal: Nonrenewable
Applicant may work toward Initial License by completing the necessary requirements.

For document hard copy click on the PDF icon under Applying Online.

$25 for each additional endorsement beyond the first.

Applicant has the school year to pass the MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills test and the corresponding Subject Matter test. Upon passing all required exams the applicant may apply for an Initial License.

Old website: http://www.doe.mass.edu/educators/e_license.html
Good for checking world language requirements.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .