Temporary Provisional Certificate (Alt Option 5 – Veterans Of The Armed Services) (KY)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Temporary Provisional Certificate (Alt Option 5 – Veterans Of The Armed Services) (KY)

Veterans meeting the requirements will be granted a provisional certificate for teaching.
Certificate Valid for 1 year
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Kentucky
Contact Name: Division of Certification
Contact Phone: 502-564-5846
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website: http://www.kyepsb.net/certification/veterancert.asp

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Major in Content Language

GPA: 2.5

GPA of 2.5 for a BA or hold an advanced degree.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:


Course needed: BA in the language
Accept Scores from Out of State


Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Background Check

Renewal: Nonrenewable
Upon successful completion of one year teaching and the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program, a Professional Teaching Certificate shall be issued, valid for a four (4) year period.


An applicant applying for initial certification in Kentucky will need to submit a Kentucky state ($20) and federal ($18) background check.

Option 5 – Veterans of the Armed Services. For Teaching Grades P-12

Applicants qualify for this if they:

–Were discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions after six years of active duty immediately before the discharge or release;
–Have a bachelor’s degree in the subject matter or related area for which certification is sought;
–Have a GPA of 2.5 for a bachelor’s degree or hold an advanced degree; and
–Have passing scores on EPSB-approved subject matter assessments.

Additional Information: A candidate meeting these requirements receives a Statement of Eligibility. After obtaining employment, the applicant is issued a one-year Provisional Certificate.

Upon successful completion of Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (KTIP) during the first year of teaching, the teacher receives the Professional Certificate. For more information on KTIP, see: http://epsb.ky.gov/internships/index.asp

In addition, veterans may also qualify for the Troops to Teachers program, which offers stipends to qualified candidates willing to teach in “high need” school settings. For more information on this program, see: http://www.kyepsb.net/certification/troopstoteachers.asp

Posted in .