Visiting International Teacher License (OH)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Visiting International Teacher License (OH)

An Ohio school district must request this teaching license for a visiting teacher who is a citizen of another country.
License Valid for 3 years
J-1 visa
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Ohio
Contact Name: Paula Sondej
Contact Phone: 614-387-0491
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Currently, Ohio has Memoranda of Understanding with the Ministry of Education of Spain, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office and Taiwan’s Ministry of Education, the Académie de Rouen in Northern France, and the College Board-NCSSFL-Hanban Chinese Guest Teacher Program.

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must Hold Out of Country Certification

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:

Summer pre-service orientation with host district; attend one-day professional development workshop sponsored by ODE during the fall; attend the Ohio Foreign Language Association (OFLA) annual spring conference

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
3 years years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:
English Language Proficiency: Oral, Written, English Language Proficiency determined by the home country Ministry of Education and ODE interview.

Native speakers must be certified in content language in home country.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District

School District Requirements:
Confirmation of Mentor

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Not Accepted

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Background Check

Renewal: Nonrenewable

Upon employment, the district applies for a Visiting International Teacher License with ODE.
Background Check Information:

Background check completed by the Ministry of Education in the home country.

An Ohio school district may use this application to request a teaching license for a visiting teacher who is a citizen of another country. The candidate must be entering the United States specifically for the purpose of teaching in an Ohio school or school district that has agreed to employ the person as a teacher via an exchange program or other collaboration or recruitment effort.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .