Emergency License (VT)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Emergency License (VT)

The Emergency Licenses is for those who have not met the necessary requirements for a Provisional License.
License Valid for 1 year
Only the superintendent or director of an independent school may endorse the applicant when the local district or independent school cannot find an appropriately licensed teacher.
Employment: Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Vermont
Contact Phone: 802-479-1700
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website: http://education.vermont.gov/licensinhttp://education.vermont.gov/educator-quality/become-a-vermont-educator/temporary-license

It is a temporary license designed to assist districts that have advertised and are unable to fill vacant positions with suitable licensed candidates.

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
Completed BA Degree

Prior Certification: Must NOT have Current (STATE) Certification

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:

Exam(s): Exams are language specific.

    Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese-Cantonese, Chinese-Mandarin, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, Egyptian, English, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Serbian, Swahili, Filipino/Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
  • Praxis (ASL, Chinese, French, German, Latin, Spanish)

If language is not listed in Praxis II exam then ACTFL OPI is required.

Roman Alphabet
Passing Score: Advanced Mid

Non-Roman Alphabet
Passing Score: Intermediate High

Passing Score: Advanced Mid

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District

School District Requirements:
Verification of Employment
Verification of Search for a Certified Teacher
Confirmation of Mentor

Renewal: Nonrenewable
Applicants may fulfill requirements for Initial License while employed under the Emergency License. No extensions are allowed.

Processing time is estimated.

Only the superintendent or director of an independent school may may turn in the information for the applicant. They may request an application at [email protected]

An Emergency License or endorsement shall not be approved by the State Board before July 15 for the next school year.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .