Teacher Exchange Program (KY)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Teacher Exchange Program (KY)

Kentucky currently has memoranda of understanding with People’s Republic of China, and Spain. Visiting Teachers receive a Temporary Visiting International Teacher’s Permit from the Department of Education in the participating states. This license recognizes the High Quality Teaching status of Visiting Teachers. It is valid for up to three years and non-renewable.
Certificate Valid for 3 years
J1 visa
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Kentucky
Contact Name: Alfonso De Torres Núñez
Contact Phone: 502-564-2106
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website: http://education.ky.gov/curriculum/conpro/Worldlang/Pages/Partners.aspx

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + MA Degree

Prior Certification: Must Hold Current (STATE) Certification

Secondary teaching candidates have a Masters degree. Elementary candidates may have a B.A. or a Masters. All are certified to teach the target language in their home countries.

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:

orientation workshop on Living and Teaching in Kentucky; attend the Kentucky World Language Association conference;

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
3 years years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:
English Language Proficiency: Oral, Written, English Language Proficiency determined by the home country Ministry of Education

Subject matter competence: Native speakers; certified in target language in home country.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: School District

School District Requirements:
Verification of Employment
Confirmation of Mentor

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Not Accepted

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required
URL: http://langcred.org/resources/transcript-evaluation/?fwp_agency_accepted_by_states=kentucky

Background Check
Varies by District

Renewal: Nonrenewable
Visiting Teachers may be hired to teach for up to 3 years on their initial J1 visa.

Upon employment, the district applies for a Visiting Teacher Certificate with EPSB.
Visiting teachers undergo a background check in the home country prior to admission to the Teacher Exchange Program.

Educational credentials are evaluated by WES (World Educational Services).


You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .