Out-of-State License (Practitioner License) (TN)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Out-of-State License (Practitioner License) (TN)

The Out-of-State license is a full license and valid for 5 years. The license will be converted to a Practitioner license, or advanced to a Professional License, based on what eligibility criteria the educator meets.
License Valid for 3 years
Employment: Not Required

The following states may accept this route:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

State Information
State: Tennessee
Contact Name: Office of Educator Licensing
Contact Phone: 615-532-4885
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website: http://www.tn.gov/education/section/licensing

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

Prior Certification: Must Hold Current (STATE) Certification

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Teacher Preparation
In most states, teachers are required to complete training in education methods through a teacher program.
The following is required for this route:
State Approved Teacher Education Program
Student Teaching

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:

Exam(s): Exams are language specific.

Accept Scores from Out of State

ACTFL OPI and WPT only for Arabic, Greek, Japanese, Russian

Verification of acceptable experience in a PreK-12 school outside the state of Tennessee must be submitted on the Experience Verification Form (if applicable).

Praxis Series II Tests — the need for testing will be determined upon the review of your application.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual
Form at: http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/education/attachments/ed2034_lic-1.pdf
Form Mailing Address:
Tennessee Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensing
710 James Robertson Parkway
12th Floor Andrew Johnson Tower
Nashville, TN 37243

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Background Check
Varies by District

Renewal: Renewable


Contact the employing school district for information and pricing on required fingerprinting and background check.
Out-of-State licenses are issued for five years. If you teach in a Tennessee public school system for three years on one of these licenses and receive a positive local evaluation, you should be advanced to the Professional License.

If you completed educator licensure requirements in another state, you must submit an out-of-state license application packet in order to apply for a Tennessee license.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .