Visiting International Teachers Program (Foreign Exchange Teaching License) (KS)

You need to login or register to save this route.

View Teacher Programs (

Visiting International Teachers Program (Foreign Exchange Teaching License) (KS)

The Visiting International Teachers program allows certified teachers from Spain and China to teach in Kansas schools for a period of up to 3 years. Teachers are hired primarily to teach Spanish, Chinese, and English as a Second Language, but may teach other subjects such as art, math, science and elementary grades. Visiting teachers provide Kansas students an exciting opportunity to learn about the world and other cultures.
License Valid for 1 year
J-1 (Exchange Visitor) visa
Employment: Required

State Information
State: Kansas
Contact Name: Regina Peszat
Contact Phone: (785) 296-1891
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Minimum Academic Background
In most states, teachers must have a minimum academic background for certification.
The following is required for this route:
BA Degree + Completed State Approved Teacher Education Program

As of 2016, No Basic Skills Exams Required

Work Experience
In some states, teachers are required to provide evidence of work experience.
The following is required for this route:
3 years years.

Content Language and English Language Proficiency
In most states, teachers are required to submit evidence of content language proficiency and English language proficiency through coursework, exams, or degree evaluations.
The following is required for this route:

Content Language Proficiency:
English Language Proficiency: Oral, Written,

Applicants must be heritage language speakers of Chinese or Spanish.

All teachers must be fluent in English. English Language proficiency may be determined through evaluation of written applications in English for the program, job interviews carried out in English, and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if KSDE staff or the school district requires it.

Applying to the State
In most states, teachers must apply to the state Individually or through their local School District, or Teacher Program Institution. Requirements for the application are outlined below:

Application Submission: Individual

School District Requirements:
Verification of Employment
Confirmation of Mentor

Copy of Academic Transcripts: Required

Copy of International Teaching License/Certificate/Credential: Required
Not Accepted

Copy of International Records: Required
Transcript Evaluation Required

Renewal: Renewable
May be renewed annually up to 2 times (for a total of 3 years). Please read Kansas Visiting International Teacher Handbook located at

Application forms will be provided during orientation.

Individuals wishing to teach in Kansas apply in Spain to the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport or in China to the College of International Cultural Exchange of Huazhong Normal University. Applications are reviewed to see if the individual meets participation requirements including: at least a Bachelor’s degree, preferably three years of teaching experience, and advanced English language proficiency. Interviews are carried out in Madrid, Spain, and in Wuhan, China by KSDE staff. School districts will offer a job contract for one year and may extend that contract annually for up to a total of three years.

U.S. Visa. Teachers apply for a J-1 visa, valid no longer than three years. Once a teacher receives a job offer from a school district, he/she responds with a “yes” or “no” answer, then completes the “Agreement to Teach in Kansas” on the KSDE webpage. Using that information, a KSDE Responsible Officer generates a DS2019 form to send to the teacher, along with an employment letter. The teacher makes an appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy. The DS2019 form and employment letter must be taken to the embassy to apply for the J-1 visa and must also be in hand when arriving at a U.S. port of entry (airport.) A SEVIS fee is also paid before visa application. Teachers must keep their copy of the DS2019 in a safe place, see that is signed annually, and request a replacement when necessary.

English Language Proficiency is required.

Each teacher is responsible for paying travel costs to Kansas. An orientation session will be scheduled at the end of July/ beginning of August at a location near one of the two major airports (Wichita or Kansas City, MO). KSDE will help teachers with transportation from the airport to the orientation site. Transportation from the orientation site to the new home town is provided by the school district.

Teachers are required to bring with them a minimum of $3,000 to assist them in establishing their living situation in the U.S. Visiting teachers will pay for their own housing and related costs out of their district salary, but the first paycheck is sometimes not received until four to six weeks after the beginning of employment.

Maintaining Contact with Responsible Officers. For the duration of participation in the program, the teacher is responsible for informing one of the two KSDE Responsible Officers when changing address, phone number, or job location. A Responsible Officer’s signature is required on the DS2019 form when leaving and returning to the U.S. This should be requested well in advance of departure, since both Responsible Officers often travel, and may not be available on short notice.

Kansas Driver’s License. International residents in Kansas are allowed to drive up to one year with a valid license from outside the state, or outside the U.S.

You may print this route.

Published On: 08/27/2017 1:00:00 AM

Posted in .