North Carolina

You need to login or register to save this state.


World Language educators typically seek certification under “Special subjects (K-12)” licensure area. To earn an education license in North Carolina, the individual must complete a teacher-training program within an Approved North Carolina educator preparation program (EPP) (note, that not all educator preparation programs in North Carolina are degree-granting).  North Carolina has a 2-tiered certification system. The Residency and the Initial Professional Licenses (IPL) are considered “initial”, while the Continuing Professional License (CPL) and the Professional License (PL) are considered “professional”. Educator licensure in NC may be one of four types depending on the levels of teacher preparation program attended: Bachelor’s Degree (A level), Master’s/Advanced Competencies (M level for a traditional, or M* for an alternative certification route), Residency (R level, via enrollment in an educator preparation program), and Doctorate (D level).

For additional information about certification, please, consult the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.


This is a list that the state maintains of approved credentialing programs. Use this list to search for credentialing programs that fit your needs. This list displays all credentialing programs (including those that are not specifically for world language teaching). The state may periodically change this list. Credential-seeking individuals must attend a program from this approved list to receive credentials in the state of North Carolina.

Posted in .