Traditional Certification Route (NC)

You need to login or register to save this route.


Earning a bachelor’s degree while being enrolled in a traditional approved educator preparation program and meeting the testing requirements outlined by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) lead to eligibility for an A-level Initial Professional License. To convert an Initial Professional License or a Residency License to a Continuing Professional License, an educator must have completed at least three years of teaching experience (either in North Carolina or verified experience from another state), complete a beginning teacher support program (if required) and pass all licensure exams required for the license(s) before or during the third year of licensure. Conversion from an Initial Professional License or a Residency License to a Professional License does not require the recommendation of the employing school system.

Language: ASL| Arabic|Cherokee|Chinese-MandarinFrench|German|Greek-Ancient|Greek-Modern|Hebrew|Hindi|Italian|Japanese|Korean|Latin|Portugese|Russian|Swahili|Turkish|Spanish|Other

State Information
State: North Carolina
Contact Name: North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
Contact Phone: 800-577-7994
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Last updated on: December 15, 2020
Posted in .