Certificate Reciprocity Approach (Out-Of-State) (MA)

You need to login or register to save this route.


Out-of-state applicants seeking their first license in the State of Massachusetts could qualify for one of three (3) types of Academic PreK-12 educator licenses: Temporary, Provisional, or Initial. A temporary license is valid for one (1) year of employment. This enables out-of-state applicants to seek and obtain employment in the Commonwealth while they work to take and pass all required MTEL tests. Massachusetts participates with every state and the District of Columbia through the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement for almost every license issued by the DESE Office of Educator Licensure. An initial license is valid for five (5) years of employment from the date of issuance in the State of Massachusetts. If all of the requirements if the initial license are met, except for the SEI endorsement, the candidate may qualify for a Provisional license. The provisional license is good for five (5) years of employment.


Language: ASL|Arabic|Armenian|Chinese (Mandarin)|French|German|Greek|Irish|Italian|Japanese|Khmer|Latin|Portuguese|Russian|Spanish|Turkish|Other.

State Information
State: Massachusetts
Contact Name:
Contact Phone:
Contact Email:
For more information please visit the state website: https://www.doe.mass.edu/licensure/out-state-applicants.html

Last updated on: September 28, 2021
Posted in .