Alternative Access Route (ND)

You need to login or register to save this route.


Alternative Access 1-Year License is for those who do not have a teaching degree but do have a bachelor’s degree in a content area where the vacancy exists in the school. This license is only issued in a documented shortage area. It is expected that the applicant will work with a university to complete their education coursework over the next 3 years (if needed.) The license must be requested in writing by the local school administrator indicating the unsuccessful search for a qualified applicant and the desire for this license to be issued. Requirements include the completed online application, a bachelor’s degree in the content area to be taught, and a plan of study from the college of education where the applicant will complete 1/3 of the program of study each year toward the teaching degree. This license can be issued a year at a time for a maximum of 3 years.

Language: ASL|Chinese|French|Japanese|German|Greek|Latin|Native American|Russian|Spanish

State Information
State: North Dakota
Contact Name: North Dakota Education Standards and Practices Board
Contact Phone: (701) 328-2260
Contact Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the state website:

Last updated on: January 22, 2021
Posted in .